How to help during Covid-19
How to help during Covid-19
In 2020, the tragic effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, severely affected the most vulnerable of our fellow humans deprived of without a permanent roof, living in precarious conditions, exposed and marginalized.
Emfasis Foundation,in implementing its uninterrupted crisis management plan since March 2020, has so far provided:
– 1000’s of basic necessities with contactless deliveries at specific dropoff/meeting points in the capital, or at the “resting” point of the homeless communities
– Psychosocial services during the operation of the 2 mobile support units & streetwork/outreach teams
– Vital information leaflets to the street population with no or limited access to basic sanitation and food supplies, as to where & how they can address their most urgent needs
– A hotline number for immediate support and recording of emergency lockdown needs
The valuable experience we acquired during the previous lockdown, proves to be a catalyst in the current operational planning, so that we remain effective & consistently present, next to the people who need us more than ever.
We ask you not to pass by those who live on the street – they simply do not have the ability to stay safe indoors.
Support Them – It is simple!
With a donation as of 5€ – you help us provide the relief and safety the homeless population needs during this unprecedented period. This way you will know that they are not alone.
Our actions during the pandemic
From Day 1 of the imposed lockdown, our teams remained in daily communication with the destitute, the elderly, the homeless, the weak and forgotten, recording their requests, offering psychological support and mental empowerment.
The following results have been recorded since March 2020 to date:
– 79 streetwork shifts
– 1942 registered people in street living conditions
– 52 on-site visits for intact deliveries of essential items
– 800 kits with survival items
– 933 antiseptics for protection from Covid19
– 1066 packs of canned & long-lasting food
Human story of Mr. Andreas, one of our beneficiaries during the 1st lockdown
“Some protesters came to demonstrate here outside the Central Market, while I was having a nap. At 71, you see, I always try to take a nap around noon. They were shouting that we should not eat meat and that animals have rights. I thought to myself: “they are right, after all, here on the streets, where I rarely eat meat, I feel better than before!” So I concluded: “Hey, one thing about living on the streets is positive and if you look at me, I look more like 50 than my real age.”So, I did think for the first time: “what right do I really have to kill an animal?” And out of necessity it became an ideology.
“I have two small reading lights to read my book at night. Of course I prefer the newspapers. Shall we talk about China’s economy?”
Every time we walked with Mr. Andreas in the city center, he chose to take us via hidden small streets, which we did not even know, literally cutting in half the time it took to reach our destination. He was always walking briskly ahead of us.
“Before you leave, let me tell you this! Please know that I am like a watchman here. Do you have any idea how many people try to steal the parked cars and motorcycles and I chase them away or call the police? I am telling you, if you want security, park here.”